Saturday, August 20, 2011

Jay The Road Warrior - Stop 2 - Richmond

I’ve always liked Richmond.  Honestly I would never live there, but anytime I go there I have a blast.  As I awoke in Philly I had the same expectations.

My day didn’t start off well as I woke up with a Dude ,hangover (the vodka prickface, not a gay thing, not that there’s anything wrong with it), and could not locate my phone.  I asked a couple of the guys in The Murderburgers to ring me but they had technical issues.  I ended up sending Fisher a message on Facebook, he rang me and I located the little bastard (somehow it was under my laundry bag).  Anyway, I grabbed my stuff and The Murderburgers then it was off to meet The Fake Boys.

I’ve never been a fan of the ride to Richmond, mainly because traffic from Baltimore to DC is a shit storm.  This time it wasn’t that bad.  Besides, I was distracted by Jim playing NHL 97 on Super Nintendo..  He’s doing a full season for the tour.  So far his Bruins (they are from the Boston), are in first place, but the Sabres aren’t that far off the pace.  We’re trying to shop Adam Oates who’s been slumping and trying to get Paul Karyia from the Ducks, but it’s been like pulling teeth (yeah these are the conversations that Jim and I have in the back of the van). I’ll be sure to keep you abreast of the situation.

When we arrived in Richmond we hit up Quaker Steak and Lube.  A clear “Quaker State” themed restaurant with a hint of Jiffy Lube, but they had all you can eat wings for a mere $11.99, plus $2.00 beers for happy hour.  While I did not partake in any beer I did consume mass quantities of wings.  I’d estimate around 40 or so.  If you ever have the opportunity to hit up a QS&L, I recommend the Arizona Ranch Wings.  They blew my mind.

The venue you played in Richmond was The Hospital.  It was a fitting name considering it was an old veterinary hospital.  The first half was the stage area, small concession stand, along with some rooms for a couple dudes who live there along with some practice space for bands.  The second half was for touring bands that needed a place to crash.  Immediately we knew where we were staying.

The show itself was good.  The band sounded super tight.  The crowd lacked a bit but it was a Tuesday and we were competing with three other shows so it’s understandable.

I couldn’t tell you much about the other bands that played.  I did see most of the opening band, Radio War’s, but didn’t catch a lick of the last band (shit, I forgot their name, my bad.  IF you read this email me and I will post a correction).

After the show was when we went to the next level.  Anyway, earlier in the day Ryan and Jenny decided they were going to tattoo each other “stick and poke” style.  If you don’t know what that is, it’s with India ink and a needle.  How the process goes is explanatory in the name (think jailhouse).  Well we all decided we were going to do it. 

Jenny, Joe, and myself ran to a Kroger to grab a case of Bud while the Dude was on ice ( and I did need to grab me some Ramen), and prepped for “Fake Boys Jailhouse Tattoos 2011” (which was fitting considering the room we were sleeping in strongly resembled a police holding cell, or maybe a place you’d go on Visiting Day when you’re visiting someone in rehab).  After knocking back some beers, many cigarettes and pizza, we all made it happen.  Fisher and Jenny got matching “Twinzies” tattoos, Joe gave himself and upside down cross, Jim got a bone with his dogs name in it, and this guy got “High-V” on the side of his hand.  It looks sort of dodgy and I love it.  It might need a second go-around but I’ll see Jenny in San Diego in a few weeks and she’ll touch it up.

While Jenny was the revolving tattoo artist, Jim, Fisher, and I started a game of suicide (AKA “Asses Up” where I came from).  To be honest I don’t feel like explaining how it works so it you don’t know it, look it up.  We decided it should be a nightly event, although we need to buy a tennis ball.  Hopefully it’ll continue in Ashville.

We finally all crashed around 4am.  Daylight comes too soon on the road.  Tomorrow we hit up Ashville.  Hopefully it’ll treat us as good as Richmond…   

No comments:

Post a Comment