Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Winnipeg Gets the NHL Back, Atlanta Gets What They Deserve

Last night I was at a bar watching the Phillies game.  Normally when you’re at a bar in South Philly, the Phils are the prime topic, even when they get embarrassed by a Triple-A team (much like they did last night).  But last night was a little different.  While there was a strong contingent discussing the NBA Finals, there was a big buzz amongst the hockey fans discussing the “shocking news” (yes I did overhear that quote) of the Atlanta Thrashers moving to Winnipeg.

Last Tuesday, Chris and I both gave our takes on the NHL returning to Winnipeg.  Both of us were stoking the idea, and went as far to say that it will happen.  For those of you who are loyal readers, you were in the know and didn’t have to wait until ESPN covered it for 30 seconds last night.  I don’t want to toot our own horn here, but we broke this story long before any of these other asshole media outlets did, so score one for The Riot!

Enough of me jerking the proverbial chain of The Sports Riot!  This isn’t about us; it’s about Winnipeg.

To quickly recap what was said yesterday, the True North Group officially bought the Atlanta Thrashers and will relocate them to Winnipeg before the 2011-12 NHL season (this is still pending Board of Governors approval, but it’s a simple formality).  The yet to be named franchise (which really needs to be the Winnipeg Jets, and it will bastardize all the excitement if it isn’t), will still play in the Southeast Division next season, but expect some realignment after next season (my call would probably be Columbus or Nashville heading east).

It’s definitely an exciting day in Manitoba and celebrations are in order.  I spent about an hour last night looking for my old Alexi Zhamnov jersey, only to realize I think it’s in a box that my mom might have somewhere (that’s no bueno), but I’ll grab some classic Jets gear in no time.  As strange as it seems, growing up in Long Island, I’ve always had a love affair with the Jets (insert gay joke here), and the Oilers (I’ll address this at a later date-- it’s a day for Winnipeg and Manitoba, not Edmonton and Alberta), but always thought the Flames could eat a dick (aside from Joe Mullen, and Lanny MacDonald’s bitchin’ moustache). 

In celebration of Jets day I have the following thoughts:

-          As I stated last Tuesday, once the purchase and relocation is announced I will go get Jets #2 Moe Mantha jersey.  I will be contacting Mitchell & Ness today to see about getting this custom made.  I do believe my esteemed partner and colleague will be doing the same.  Long live Moe Mantha!
-          Any beers I consume today (surprisingly I’ve yet to have any but that will change in a few minutes), will only be Canadian brew; preferably Moosehead.  I haven’t had that in a while but could be hard to find here in Philly.  I pledge to do my best to seek the shit out.  If not, I might have to settle for Labatt’s or Molson (pardon my ignorance of any other beers Winnipeggers, the Canadian beer market isn’t what it used to be in The City of Brotherly Love).
-          The team needs to be renamed the Jets, and I will do all in my power (I have serious juice), so push that this happens.  Fellow Jets fans unite!
-          I will no longer refer to Canadians as “Mexicans in sweaters”.
-          I will relinquish my ignorance regarding the CFL and start to root for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.
-          Now this is a bold one because I breathe Flyers hockey, but anytime the Flyers and the Winnipeg TBD’s play each other, whether I’m at a bar or at Wells Fargo Center (if it still has that name when this occurs, since it’s already been changed 6 or so times), I will don my Moe Mantha jersey and root for the TBD’s.  This might seem pretty basic and even though it’s not bad as going to an Eagles game with a Cowboys jersey, it’s generally not wise to wear enemy colors when watching a game (Sidebar:  this mainly pertains to the Eagles and Flyers.  No one really gives a shit about the Sixers.  As for the Phillies it’s mainly Mets fans, but that’s when there was actually a rivalry.  Now if you see a Mets fan at a game, you laugh.).

Congratulations Winnipeggers!  It’s been overdue but you got what you deserved.  Now go out and buy some season tickets.  The goal is 13,000 season tickets sold by the June 21st board approval.  Ignore these blogger assholes who are already complaining about ticket prices.  Go out and show support of hockey in Winnipeg.  The biggest hurdle was getting a team.  Getting fans to buy tickets is a no-brainer.  Remember this:  Winnipeg always has an ally in The Riot!, and we will always have your back.

Now while one city celebrates (actually all of Canada should be and a majority of the United States), the City of Atlanta probably isn’t wearing their happy hats.  Or are they???

As many of you know I lived in Atlanta for a few years in the late 90’s.  While a lot of the bars weren’t what I was used to in the north and there’s an above average amount of redneck white trash (the south will not be rising again), there were some good people and beautiful ladies.  I had some great times there and I made some great friends who I still regularly talk to.  If not for a stalker I had (another story for another day), I might have lived there longer than I did.  I would never have been there long term though for two reasons 1) eventually I would have ended up in jail for punching a redneck in the throat.  2) I can never live in a city with terrible sports fans, and Atlanta is the worst in the country.

I touched on this about a month ago when I did an article about Philly being the greatest sports fans in the world (f*cking A right!), and pointed out other cities and their lack of passion.  Atlanta topped that list.  Never have I seen a bunch of yahoos have such a care free attitude when it comes to their sports franchises and it absolutely disgusted me.  Unless its college football (BTW – Georgia and Georgia Tech both suck), pig f*cking, or NASCAR the average Atlantian is a simple-minded fair-weather fan.  For a team that HAD four major franchises, the city is an absolute abortion when it comes to fan support.

Hockey
I figured I’d start with the shitty hockey fans in Atlanta since we are celebrating the top notch fans in Winnipeg.

When Atlanta was awarded an expansion team I had mixed feelings.  I liked it because I missed watching hockey so I’d be able to see live NHL games again.  On the flip side I didn’t think they deserved a hockey team because they already lost one.  Now before you start calling me a hypocrite because Winnipeg already lost the Jets and I’m celebrating it, hear me out.  When a city loses a team to relocation it’s based on ownership seeing greener pastures elsewhere, the contract with the arena they are in, and league approval.  To be awarded an expansion team is based on the league and out of the bidding teams that best fit.  If you lose a team you shouldn’t be allowed a second chance.  So since Atlanta lost the expansion Flames in 1980 they’re automatically flagged.  It’s the equivalent of letting a bike shop owner who molested a kid an opportunity to teach elementary school. 

The Thrashers were a pretty bad team in their 11 year existence making the playoffs once (which they were swept by the Rangers).  They were always also in the bottom of league attendance (they ranked 28th last year).  So any “Thrashers fan” who is upset about the loss of the team is 100% full of shit.  Had you given the team proper support you’d still have a hockey team. 

I attended 10-15 Thrashers games during my stay in Atlanta.  That’s probably more then 90% of the city’s population did.  The fact that the “Save the Thrashers” pep rally only turned out a couple hundred people is proof of what shitbag fans the people of Atlanta really are.

Don’t even get me started on the former owner crying about the sale of the team.  You’re a bigger asshole then you’re non-existent fan base and even more full of shit.  If you actually cared about the team you probably would have done more.  F*ck you dude.  Pardon my tangent but nothing twists my balls more than false sincerity.

Baseball
The Braves dominated the National League for over a decade and until the emergence of the Phillies, owned the NL East.  Last season the Braves finished 2nd in the NL East and won the Wild Card yet they finished 13th in overall attendance averaging 30,928 per game.  Turner Field holds around 50,000 people.  This is completely pathetic.  Even the Mess (yeah I know I spelled it wrong), who finished with a sub-.500 record averaged more per game.

Even in 1995, when they won the goddamn World Series they couldn’t sell out a game and averaged 6th in attendance.  On the flip side, the Phillies, who finished below .500 and were 21 games out of first place averaged only 2,000 less people a game.  Phillies fans knew they’re team had no shot, but still showed up to support their team.

I’ve told this story before on The Riot!, but I remember in the late 90’s, while living in Atlanta, I wanted to catch a playoff game but didn’t have any tickets.  I figured I’d head down to the stadium and try and grab a couple scalped tickets.  There was no need because there were plenty of tickets available at the box office.  I sat about 25 rows behind first base and couldn’t believe the amount of empty seats. 

Pathetic, just pathetic…

Football
Aside from a couple decent years since drafting Matt Ryan, the Falcons have been an abomination (except for the miracle year they went to the Super Bowl).  Now every Falcons game is sold out.  It has to be or contractually it cannot be broadcast on TV in the local market, so Atlantians can watch their Falcons while they flip over to NASCAR to see if Dale Jr. is coming out of Turn 4.  While their attendance numbers appear to be good, it’s a facade. 

When I lived in Atlanta is was very common for corporations such as Publix, Kroger, and the local Fox affiliate to buy out the empty seats just so the game could be broadcast on TV and more importantly so no TV revenue would be lost.  I had watched a lot of Falcons games while living in Atlanta and unless everyone was at the beer line at once, the upper level was always empty.  Now that the Falcons are among the NFL’s elite the seats are magically full.  Hmmm…  Funny how that works.

Another story I told on The Riot! was I lived in Atlanta when they went to the Super Bowl.  The next year I had tickets to the opening game against the Vikings.  During the game, Jamal Anderson blew out his knee (mainly because the year before Dan Reeves treated him how Dusty Baker treats pitchers).  The Falcons lost the game 13-10.  The next game there were 20,000 empty seats and the game wasn’t even broadcasted on TV.

Nice to see a majority of Falcons fans are front running assholes.

Basketball
The Hawks have recently gotten better and actually surprised me by knocking off the Magic in this years playoffs.  Unlike hockey, the Hawks have support, but that’s only because they are good.  But not in all cases.  In the 1998-1999 season the Hawks finished second in the Central Division, only two games behind the Pacers.  Yet they were in the bottom five in league attendance.  I remember going to Hawks games with my buddy Melvin and we would buy $10 seats.  They were rafter shit seats.  It was a bargain though because midway through the first quarter we were almost courtside.  I guess I became the NBA bargain hunter.

To be honest, I could keep on my tirade of my disgust for the sports fans of Atlanta, but quite frankly I’m absolutely disgusted.  I’d rather be at the bar getting ready to watch the Phillies surrounded by real fans. 

So Winnipeg, you have my love and support and all of us at The Riot!, and we’ll be giving our takes on the relocation as it progresses. 

Atlanta, I only pray the second coming of General Sherman is around the corner and he burns your second rate city to the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment