Monday, January 20, 2014

Quick Takes – Monday Style


With all the happenings that occurred this weekend, there are other things I need to address.  Maybe I’m fired up because I spent 95% of my weekend time watching sports, or maybe I’m doing actually what I’m supposed to do (honestly it’s both).  Let’s have at it.

Peter Gammons – I read an article on TSN this morning regarding Peter Gammons and his reaction to the line brawl that began in Saturday’s Flames/Canucks game.  Gammon commented that what happened Saturday night is one of the reasons hockey is a “minor sport”.  Wait a damn minute…  Let’s get a couple of things straight.

First of all, Gammons is baseball writer, why does anyone give a rats ass about his thoughts on hockey!?!  Also, while hockey isn’t as popular as baseball is in The States, hockey is a true world-wide sport; baseball just wants to be.

I saw a poll this morning on ESPN about fighting in hockey and 69% of the voters wanted the fighting rules to stay how they are.  Fighting is part of the game, and it doesn’t make it minor sport just because some pretentious asshole in Boston thinks it is.

Maybe Gammons should focus more on who is putting a needle in whose ass to gain a “competitive edge”, not what’s happening in an arena in Vancouver.  Better yet, maybe he should wonder why less and less kids are watching and playing baseball.  I have two nephews (11 & 13), and both of them are part of USA Hockey (in fact I’ll be in Long Island this weekend for my nephew’s High School All-Star Game).  They train and play hockey year-round.  They probably couldn’t name 10 Major League Baseball players.  As someone who played and loves baseball I tried to talk to them about it and they wanted nothing of it.  “It’s slow and boring.”  It’s not just them .  More kids want to play hockey, basketball, and football over baseball.  Shit, more kids are getting into lacrosse. 

How “major” will baseball be when no one wants to play it?  The Olympics already pulled it.  As a big baseball fan it pains me to say all of this, but it’s the truth.

Jamaican Bobsled Team – In case you missed it, the Jamaican bobsled team is making a triumphant return to the Olympics.   They just want you to finance it.  The Jamaicans figure they’ll need about 80K to get to Russia and they need your help.  The website Crowdtilt.com has taken up the cause and has already raised $18,000.  Word on the street is there’s a PayPal account in the works as well.

I don’t want to sound like a dick, but why should anyone kick in some cash to get these guys to Sochi?  I understand Jamaica is a very poor country and people did the same thing for Usain Bolt in 2012 in London, but there’s a difference.  Bolt is the fastest man in the world, and won gold medals.  The Jamaican bobsled team is a novelty.
Look…  I enjoyed the movie Cool Runnings too.  Doug E. Doug is a funny guy and the 1988 Jamaican team was pretty inspiring.  It doesn’t mean I’m going to pay to watch them embarrass themselves.

Darryl Katz – Who is Darryl Katz you might ask?  He’s the owner of the Edmonton Oilers (my beloved hockey franchise).  This afternoon he wrote an “open letter” to the Oilers fan base, attempting to keep the fans at bay. 

If this was actually written by Katz, it was more or less a bunch of hot air.  The initial theme seemed to be oriented toward the rebuild, but in reality it was a letter defending Kevin Lowe.  The Oilers president has taken a lot of heat for rebuilding a team that has no defense.  There are social media pages dedicated to “Fire Lowe”.  Oilers fans are pissed (myself included), and want some type of answer.

Another question I have regarding “Rebuild Year Four”.  If you’re rebuilding a young team, wouldn’t you want some type of consistency?  The Oilers have had three coaches in four years (and people are calling for Dallas Eakins’ head now).  If you’re doing a true rebuild, you don’t change coaches annually.  Young players need consistency and annual changes aren’t conducive for development. . .

The letter was nothing but a written vote of confidence for Lowe. 

Well, I’m done.  I can be reached at gimmeasign@gmail.com.  Follow me on Twitter @JayPlatt.  I’m pretty bitter…




No comments:

Post a Comment