Friday, January 3, 2014

Jay’s Take – USA Hockey Selections


I wanted to address this earlier, but to be honest, I’ve been lazy and got into an ID Network marathon (the show doesn’t matter they’re really all the same).  Besides I’m glad I waited a bit because it gave me time to actually formulate an opinion (I do that sometimes), not sound like every other half-cocked asshole.

After the Winter Classic, USA Hockey announced their rosters for this February’s Olympics in Sochi and within minutes it spawned debate.  While debate when any team is named is common, in this case, I think a lot of it is overhyped by the gasbags in the media.  At least it gets the fans talking right?

OFFENSE Zach Parise – Minnesota Wild, David Backes – St. Louis Blues, Blake Wheeler – Winnipeg Jets, Paul Stasny – Colorado Avalanche, Patrick Kane – Chicago Blackhawks, Phil Kessel – Toronto Maple Leafs, Derek Stepan – New York Rangers, Joe Pavelski – San Jose Sharks, Ryan Kessler – Vancouver Canucks, James van Riemsdyk, Dustin Brown – Los Angeles Kings, Max Pacioretty – Montreal Canadiens, Ryan Callahan – New York Rangers, TJ Oshie – St. Louis Blues

I really like the offensive lineup.  Kane will be going to Sochi not just as the best American forward, but one of the best forwards in the entire world.  He, along with JVR, Pacioretty, Kessel, and Parise give the US some big scorers.  Players like Callahan, Stasny, Wheeler, and Brown are excellent two-way players who can help the Americans on the power play and the penalty kill.  This isn’t the most offensive US group of forwards, but it’s an outstanding balance, which is more important in international play.

Snubs – The obvious choice here is Bobby Ryan.  Ryan is a perennial 30-goal scorer and was a member of the US’s 2010 team.  I agree he’s probably a better choice than a guy like Stepan, but given the balance on the offense I can see why he was left off.  If I was putting this team together I’d probably take Brandon Saad over Ryan.  Not a knock on Bobby, I just like Saad’s makeup more. 

Another name I’ve heard who was snubbed was Kyle Okposo.  Okposo isn’t a bad forward, but he’s a main benefactor of playing with John Tavares, and don’t see why he would have been given a ton of consideration.

I want to touch on Ryan briefly and the comments directed toward him from Brian Burke.  I know there are a lot of people who aren’t happy Ryan didn’t make the team but why is anyone given Burke any attention here.  He looks like a deranged old man who combs his hair with a pork chop.  He has nothing to do with USA hockey anymore.  He’s a big-mouth who runs one of the worst franchises in the NHL.  Let him talk and continue to let him look like a moron.  The fact the USA Hockey General Manager David Poile is even addressing him and now apologizing to Ryan is pathetic.

DEFENSE – Ryan Suter – Minnesota Wild, Kevin Shattenkirk – St. Louis Blues, Paul Martin – Pittsburgh Penguins, Justin Faulk – Carolina Hurricanes, Brooks Orpik – Pittsburgh Penguins, Cam Fowler – Anaheim Ducks, John Carlson – Washington Capitals, Ryan McDonough – New York Rangers

Hmmm…  What do I think of the defense?  Bluntly, I don’t like it one bit.  No doubt Suter belongs on the team and I do like Shattenkirk, but the rest of the bunch is questionable.  I think Martin has no business even being in the conversation for making Team USA.  He’s not even playing!  He’s been on the IR since late November.  The only reason I can think of he was given a spot was his coach, Dan Blysma will be coaching the Americans and Orpik, who is also on the team, is his normal defensive partner.  Still I think it took a spot away from a player who might have helped the team more.

I can see the reasoning for McDonough, and maybe even Faulk, but I’m not big on Fowler or Carlson.  If there’s a weakness on this team, it’s the defense, not that Ryan isn’t repping his country in Russia.

Snubs – I’m surprised Keith Yandle wasn’t given a roster spot.  Yandle is third among American defenseman in points, second in shots, and is one of the better two-way defenseman in the NHL.  I’d take him over the trio of Martin, Fowler, and Carlson any day of the week.

To me a biggest surprise, not just for the blue line but for entire team, was how Dustin Byfuglien was left off the roster.  Big Buff can do it all.  He can score, step up and play forward, and is a huge physical presence.  I get that most international hockey isn’t as much of a physical game as the NHL, but Byfuglien has a lot more to offer than Faulk, Orpik, or the aforementioned defensemen.  If I had the ability to make one change it would to make sure Byfuglien is wearing red, white, and blue in Sochi.

GOALTENDING – Ryan Miller – Buffalo Sabres, Jonathan Quick – Los Angeles Kings, Jimmy Howard – Detroit Red Wings

Between the pipes is the strongest area for the ‘Mericans.  Quick has been one of the best goalies in the world, and even though he’s been injured, he’ll be ready to play in February.  Miller was the best player on the ice for USA in 2010 and has yet to slow down.  Playing on the last-place Sabres, Miller is still posting a 2.70 GAA and .926 Sv%.  With an actual defense in front of him, he’ll only improve.  Jimmy Howard hasn’t the best season but is good depth and has had success at the international level.

Snubs – While I agree that Howard that provides depth the fact the Ben Bishop didn’t make the cut is ridiculous.  The Lightning netminder is having the best season out of any American goalie.  Not just any American goalie, any goalie.  He’s currently 3rd in wins (21), 2nd in GAA (1.89), and 1st in Sv% (.935) among all starting goalies in the NHL.

I’ve heard grumblings about Craig Anderson being a snub, but that’s just silly.  He’s lucky he’s the starter on the Senators, no-less representing the United States.

PREDICTIONAlthough the most talented players were not chosen to this roster, it’s a very balanced.  I like the combination of skill and grit with some of the world’s top talent between the pipes.  I don’t think it’s the best group of players going to Sochi, but I think this team is more than capable of winning a medal.  I’m thinking Silver, losing to Canada in the Gold Medal game.

What’s your opinion on Team USA?  I know you have one.  Drop me a line at gimmeasign@gmail.com and let me know.  Follow me on Twitter @JayPlatt.  Its chock full of thoughts that come to mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment