Saturday, January 18, 2014

Jay's Take: Flyers give Mason an Extension

Today, the Flyers re-signed goaltender Steve Mason to a three-year contract extension.  The Flyers will be paying him $4.1 million in each of the seasons, and it does not include a no-trade clause.

Jay's Take:  Maybe if I was drinking I'd like this deal more, but it's a "meh".  I've read in a few places the comparison to Ondrej Pavelec.  I can understand why.  Their career stats are almost identical and both of them also give up some terrible goals.  In saying all this, Mase has been the better goalie over the past two years.

In the first two months of this season the Flyers couldn't buy a goal and any points they picked up was a direct result of the play of Mason.  He's a big reason the Flyers are second in the Patrick Division.  On the other hand Pavelec is one of the reasons the Jets have been in the shit.  His numbers are dreadful and he struggles getting in the right position.

Is Mason a franchise goalie?  Not a shot.  Did the Flyers overpay him?  No doubt.  But I can understand why the Flyers did what they did.

It's tough to find a franchise goalie.  After this season the pickings are slim in the free agent market.  The top three are Ryan Miller, Jaroslav Halak, and Jonas Hiller.  Miller would be the ideal choice, but I don't see him signing in Philly.  Halak is still in his 20's, but I can't see him not leaving St. Louis.  That leaves Hiller.  He could be a good fit, but frankly, I think the Flyers are gun shy after the Ilya Bryzgalov disaster.  In Mason they know what they have, and he's a decent stop-gap unitl Anthony Stolarz is ready to take the reigns (the Flyers top goalie prospect).

What do you think of the extension?  Drop a comment or email me at gimmeasign@gmail.com.  Follow me on Twitter @JayPlatt.  I may or may not be opinionated.


No comments:

Post a Comment