Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Two Things

So The Riot! is growing so quickly that I can't even find the time to write anymore.  There are big things coming and I, personally apologize for the lack of content over the past two weeks, but that will change.  Jay is back and he will be taking over the reigns of this sinking ship for a while; I will be preparing the next BIG move for us.  Stay tuned.

For now I will contribute with what I will call "Two Things." I know I went from "Quick Takes" that were less than quick and a little long to "How it went down" and it did just that.  So now I'm just going to throw two thoughts at a time at you, when I can.  It's not an insult to you, it's just all I have time for now.

                                1
So the Jets lost on Sunday to the Oakland Raiders in somewhat of an ugly fashion and being a rabid Jets fan I was not happy.  But I have to say that I took that loss in stride.  I didn't throw anything like in the past and I didn't get that post Jets loss depression that I've become accustomed to.  None of that. I simply went on with my day and it was all good because it was just one loss; and it was an anomaly. So why am I talking about it, because Joe Namath and some idiots on ESPN have decided that maybe Rex Ryan is losing his team.  That his positive rhetoric is now beginning to fall on deaf ears.  That he is too much of a "player's coach." What? Because they lost one game in week three.  If I'm not mistaken, they won a dramatic opener against a pretty good Cowboys team and they annihilated the Jags to run out to a 2-0 start.  So they go to Oakland, and their D did not play well. Giving up nearly 200 yards rushing to Darren McFadden is not what the Jets D is supposed to ever do, but it does happen on occasion.  But let's be clear here, anyone who saw that game knows that if Antonio Cromartie didn't have his head is his ass during the entire game, the Jets may win that game; despite the sub par effort from the offense.  Can everyone just calm down.  First off, the Jets are 1-11 in their last 12 trips to Oakland. The Jets NEVER play well on the west coast during the regular season and this was their first road game of the season. My God, one loss and now Rex Ryan is losing his players? And I want to thank Joe Namath for giving Skip Bayless another ally in the war against Rex Ryan.  I had to hear him again about the target that Rex keeps putting on his teams back.  Look, has everyone forgotten the losing streaks the Jets endured over the last two seasons and where did the Jets end up? The AFC Championship game. Both times. Nice shooing Tex. So Jets fans, I know we are used to the dropping of the other shoe, and believe me it's coming, but not this year. The Jets will be fine, and they will show everyone who they are in the next two weeks. They will beat the Ravens,  and give the Pats all they can handle and maybe win that one (the Jets don't traditionally do well in NE during the regular season).

                                                                                                     2
So Michael Vick was caught whining about refs the other night. He wondered out loud at a press conference after the Eagles fell to 1-2 to the Giants, why he doesn't get the "roughing the passer" flags like all the other QB's in the league. So I went back and looked at some vid and yes, Vick gets hit alot.  Many of the hits are legal but some are questionable.  So I started to think maybe there is some silent backlash at Vick from the refs.  I'm not accusing anyone of anything, and maybe it's not even a conscience thing they are doing, but maybe some of the refs don't feel as warm and fuzzy (odd choice of phrase here) about the Vick's reemergence as everyone else seems to be.  Maybe they see their dog "Spike" everytime Vick goes down and it stops them from pulling that flag out. Maybe they are card carrying members of PETA. Maybe they are annoyed that Vick, an ex-con, again makes more money in one game than they ever will in their life and they think if they were to be convicted of such a crime they wouldn't be on an NFL field three years later? I don't know, maybe it's Vick's style of play and it's hard to see the extra hits, but I think I have an interesting theory at least. There may be something to it.
Then this morning Vick came out after seeing the doctor about his hand (not broken BTW, although it was wrapped up like a club, for a bruise? it was an odd look) and basically apologized for his comments about the refs and that they do a great job. I understand the comments right after the game, and I also understand the apology. These guys, just like anybody else, hate losing especially when winning is your job, so i get the outpouring of frustration that comes with a loss to a division and bitter rival, and a broken hand to top it off. I also get gaining some perspective the next day and realizing that maybe you said a little too much during an emotional post-game presser but I feel there may be something else.  See, Vick was a somewhat outspoken, flamboyant character before prison and since has been a model citizen who tries to keep below the radar. Maybe this mini-tirade is peek into what's bubbling below the surface. I'm not saying he's a bad guy (he never really was when not around K9's) or that he has an attitude problem; I think he has alot to say though and has held back because of the watchful eye of Roger Goodell (he's like the eye in "Lord of the Rings" if you draw it's attention, the fury of hell rains down upon you.....too dark?) and of the protesters. Look, Vick has gotten a second chance at the good life; many do not get this chance and he is doing a great job of being respectful and showing his appreciation to fans and the league, it's just something to watch as this "Dream Team " develops. (I bet he wants to put Vince Young down for that utterance)

Questions, Comments, Rantings, Christmas Lists or anything else you feel we should know, send it to thesportsriot@yahoo.com or follow us on twitter @thesportsriot

No comments:

Post a Comment