Saturday, August 27, 2011

Jay The Road Warrior - Stop 6 - Tampa

Waking up in Orlando I was a cranky prick.  I didn’t sleep much due to getting in late and I didn’t want to miss my phone call from Ryan and inadvertently get stuck in Orlando.  Also my allergies were bugging the shit out of me.  Watery eyes along with a nose that will not stop running doesn’t make me a happy guy.  Not in the slightest. 

My face is also itchy as shit.  I’m not sure if I mentioned this but I decided not to shave for the entire tour.  Although a 12-year-old girl has more body hair then I do my neck is starting to itch.  Maybe I should just quit bitching and being soft.

I spoke to Ryan in the morning and we decided that the band would head to Tampa during the day and I’d head down in the evening with Jeff since he planned on going to the show.  Now knowing that I had a full day to myself did I decide to go to sleep?  No shot.

I spent the morning with Brooke, Hanna, and Jeff.  When Jeff’s roommate Adam woke up we decided to sit out back and have a couple of beers.  Adam seemed like a good dude.  He wanted to hit the Orlando show up but had to work but digs the band from what he saw on YouTube and wanted all the records.  Of course I was happy to oblige so he gave me the cash and I told him I’d send them home with Jeff.  He did have an odd request though.  He wanted all the record covers signed by the band.

After sitting on Jeff’s porch for a while longer a few more beers we decided we needed to fire up the grill.  Jeff prepped everything while Adam and I headed to the local Publix (a grocery store in the south), to grab some brats and beer.

Grilling was very relaxed.  It was good hanging out with Jeff and just getting some relaxation in the swampy-humid weather that Florida has to offer.

Once Valerie got home Jeff grabbed a shower and we headed to Tampa.

We had a little trouble finding the venue as it was located behind a skate park, but nevertheless we prevailed.  The band was already there waiting so I met up with them and mingled with the folks outside the show.  One dude I met was this guy Jason, who was in town to visit his sister.  He’s from Denver and will be home when we play there.  He told me he can pack the venue so I grabbed his info.  Hopefully he’s not full of shit.  I guess we will see when we hit Denver.

The show was good.  A good sized crowd and people seemed to be into the music.  I’m not exactly sure how many bands played that night from not paying attention and just running in and out of the venue, but there were some good ones.

Mixtapes went on before us.  They’re a punk rock band from Cincinnati.  When I first saw them hit the stage I immediately didn’t think I was going to like them because the singer was a chick.  Not to sound outrageously sexist, but a chick belongs in the kitchen making me dinner, not playing rock ‘n roll (take that you feminist bitches).  Ok, I kid…  Outside of the band Tilt I never really got into female singers.  Well now I like two as the Mixtapes were spot on.  Good sound and not over the top.  Next time they hit up Philly, I’m there.

The Fake Boys went on next and did what they do best; f*ck shit up.  The crowd was feeling the music and the vibe in the entire place was really good.  Like it’s gone the tour so far, easily the best band of the night.

The only other band I recall playing was The Dukes of Hillsborough.  I remember seeing them a few times when I lived in the area and they haven’t changed much.  Still shitty post-punk music.

After the show we went to Taco Bus, a taco stand (duh), with Mixtapes and Glenn, an employee of  Kiss of Death Records (which happens to be The Fake Boys label).  At that point I was feeling good.  Maybe a little too good.  I recall at one point the singer from Mixtapes looked at like I was speaking Japanese and told said “Dude, you’re f*cked up.  I have no idea what you are saying.”.  She was correct.  This may or may not have happened for the following reasons:

1)      I may or may not have only slept for a couple hours the night before.
2)      I may or may not have been drinking beer all day.
3)      I may or may not have smoked some medicinal marijuana at the show and may or may not have smoked some other marijuana after the show.

Regardless of the reasons I may or may not have been marginally coherent, I indeed was.

After Taco Bus we all went back to Glenn’s house where we were  staying for the night.  Within 15 minutes I was passed out on my sleeping bag (prior to that I was passing out in a chair).

Well my comatose state left my wide open for the boys to teach my a lesson about passing out.  First they drew a nipple ring on my right nipple and gave me an earring (it could definitely could have been a lot worse, especially when I heard some of the other idea they had which will not be mentioned).  Glenn also thought it would be funny to let his lighter get nice and hot then drop it on my chest (well played Glenn), which gave me a little burn.  I can’t get pissed over it.  Shit, if it was someone else I would have done the same thing myself.  But now Ryan and Jim better hope they don’t pass out one night on tour.  Payback can be a bitch.

Overall the show was great and it was great to spend time with Jeff.  Onward to Gainesville!

No comments:

Post a Comment